I’ve now made these twice and it’s something that you will perfect as you learn what works best for you. As you can see from the pictures, the vanilla cupcake is the “bun” and the chocolate cupcake is the “patty”. What I have found is that a more realistic “patty” can be made by pouring only half the cake mix in the muffin tin (i’ll explain the use of the other half below) and then slicing off the top giving you a flat patty that sits flush on the bottom of the vanilla “bun”. However, more importantly this flat surface allows you to load up the “condiments” without them sliding off of it had you left it with a pointy cupcake top for the “patty”.
Wow, I hope that made sense!
With the extra chocolate mix, I baked it in a shallow cake tin, cut them in thin strips and froze them to serve with the burgers in an attempt to make chocolate fries! They didn’t look as realistic as I had hoped, but I was happy with the idea. Of course, since there were fries, I figured they should be accompanied with something, so I made chocolate pudding for a “gravy”. I’ve made this recipe before to huge success and I’ll post the recipe tomorrow along with a homemade whipped cream recipe that together makes an elegant yet simple dessert! https://tastesbetterwithfriends.wordpress.com/category/pudding/
Back to the cheeseburgers now, the condiments are plentiful…
- There are a bunch of different colors of icing to simulate mustard, ketchup, mayo.
- For the “cheese” portion, I used vanilla icing and the played around with red and yellow coloring to make orange.
- Green coloring with shredded coconut to make relish or lettuce
- I cut up maraschino cherries to make slices of tomatoes
- The finishing touch are some sesame seeds on top of the bun, simply smear a bit of butter and then sprinkle so they stick.
- For presentation purposes, it’s important to try and line the outside of the patty with icing so when the bun goes on top, you see the “ketchup, mustard, etc” oozing out like it normally would.
I’ve now made them twice, once for a birthday party and the other time for a potluck dinner and they are still being talked about. If you ever need something that will make you memorable, look to the cheeseburger cupcake!