I was put in charge of the appetizers for a little potluck dinner the other night and since I didn’t have much time to prepare my goal was something easy and delicious. I decided on baked asparagus wrapped in prosciutto and tomatoes with garlic, olive oil and bocconcini cheese.
The asparagus dish is something I had seen Jamie Oliver do on the Food Network (I can’t remember which series since he’s got 3-4 going). I had tried it once before with pancetta and even though it was good with the prosciutto, it is better with pancetta. It crisps up much faster and the salt really penetrates into the asparagus giving it a nice kick.
It is really easy to prepare,
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Once the asparagus has been washed and dried, roll the pancetta (or prosciutto) around the asparagus and lay them in a baking pan
- Drizzle some olive oil over the asparagus
- Bake for 10 minutes (or until the edges of the meat turns crispy)
As for the tomatoes, it was something I thought would be simple and a nice cold app to go with the asparagus.
- Slice 4-6 ripe tomatoes lengthwise
- 1 clove of garlic (finely sliced)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Combine them all and then drizzle it over the tomatoes
- Add some bocconcini cheese