I was at a cottage this weekend and I was working on some summer arithmetic, follow along with me…
campfire + chocolate + marshmallows + graham crackers + whipped cream = S’mores + smiles
(Quick definition of S’mores – a contraction from “Can I have some mores?”
I had the pleasure of being invited to a friend’s cottage this weekend. The family has opened their doors for me in the past to enjoy some of their cottage magic. This time, I wanted to thank them with something a little different, so I asked if I can contribute to dinner one night by making dessert.
So that’s where my arithmetic began.
Step 1 – Fire, I gathered the wood, I guess I sort of contributed to the actual fire.
Step 2 – chocolate, marshmallows, graham crackers, whipped cream (not a prerequisite)
The smushier the better
Step 3 – Smush and bite!
I’m happy to report they were a huge hit amongst all ages and if I keep producing desserts, I’m invited back anytime and really, who wouldn’t want to come back to this?
S’mores are pretty simple…
For approximately 25 people
- 2 boxes of Graham crackers
- 2 bags of chocolate chips melted down in a double boiler
- 2 bags of marshmallows
- 250 ml of whipped cream beaten with an electric mixer with a couple of spoonfuls of sugar once you’ve gotten your stiff peaks
- skewers, hangars, something safe to roast the marshmallow
From there you’re good to go…
- Roast the marshmallow
- Smear some chocolate on the graham crackers
- Squish the marshmallow
- Add a dollop of whipped cream