I was so impressed by my recent visit to Alabama that I went online to Amazon as soon as I got home and ordered 1001 Ways To Cook Southern by Southern Living.
There was a bunch of selections to choose from, but I was taken with this book because it was more than just recipes. It also promised stories which are always important, but are an especially unique element of Southern cuisine with so many recipes handed down from generation to generation. I wasn’t sure what to start with until I found a recipe for pecan pie squares. When I saw I could re-create a staple of Southern cuisine like pecan pie in a potentially less guilty square form, well, that’s all I needed to see.
Maybe because I don’t own a ton of cookbooks, but I felt a fun sort of excitement using this cookbook for the first time. It was like the giddiness of opening up a present, but the excitement was multiplied because I knew there were tons of more presents waiting in the book!
Unfortunately, my pastry blender is in a box somewhere, so I had to make do with a fork, but other than that, this was a very simple recipe that turned out really nicely. The pecan topping is sweet, but not outrageously sugary like I’ve had in other pecan pies. Don’t get me wrong, I do like crazy, über sweet, but this one was good in that it didn’t make it feel like you were one more bite away from a cavity! The crunch of the pecan is definitely there and it’s a perfect compliment to the soft and buttery crust that by the way I am totally impressed with myself for making!
Pecan Pie Squares – Makes approximately 30 squares
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2/3 cup butter
- 3 Tbsp. whipping cream
- 3 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350F. Sift together flour and powdered sugar. Cut in 3/4 cup softened butter using a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse meal. Pat mixture on bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of a lightly greased 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool. Bring brown sugar, honey, 2/3 cup butter and whipping cream to a boil in a saucepan over medium-hight heat. Stir in pecans and pour hot filling into prepared crust.
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Cool in pan on a wire rack before cutting into 2-inch squares.