The Cookie Man is a man with a great name and an even better job. The job of the Cookie Man is to supply cookies and make people smile. That sort of description sounds like the job of a Grandfather. Well, then it isn’t surprising to know the Cookie Man Jar I grew up with once belonged to my grandparents and this particular cookie jar was bought by them because of its similarity to my grandfather Eddie, right down to the fedora.
If you’re a fan of a soft, gooey marshmallow chocolate cookie with the slightest little pecan crunch, well, enjoy!
Mississippi Mud Cookies – Recipe from 1,001 Ways to Cook Southern
Makes about 3 dozen
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate morsels
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350F. Microwave semisweet chocolate morsels in a small microwave-safe glass bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in chopped pecans and 1/2 cup milk chocolate morsels.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Press 3 marshmallows into each portion of dough.
- Bake at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.